Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Epson Sumissions.. **UPDATED**

Epson definitely snuck up on me!! After Daniel Marchant and Michael suggested I use my ROH pictures, and I agree.. So here's the most recent edits, haven't decided which images I want to submit.

Photobucket
.01

Photobucket
.02

Photobucket
.03

Photobucket
.04

Photobucket
.05

***Here's the updated artist statement that I submitted to Mikey.. fingers crossed!

We all deal with crisis in different ways. I experienced a major crisis as a teen, struggling with a deep depression and severe anxiety issues. I signed myself into the ROH because I was so whacked out on the mix medication and my own thoughts that I did not trust myself.

It has been over two years since I stayed in this room. I experienced some of the hardest nights of my life there, plagued with loneliness and the feeling of being disconnected from everything. Hallucinations and nightmares, anxiety attacks and fights with some of the staff; it was very hard to go back. After 15 minutes I had to stop and leave; I had broken a sweat had become very anxious. Remembering a lot of what had happened, a lot of things I had chosen to forget, I left almost immediately

Processing what happened when I was an inpatient and what happened when I went back was only possible after the dust had settled. I shot and scanned them but didn’t touch them for a few weeks. Until recently, it remained nested in the back of my mind, until I felt enough time had passed and I could go back and deconstruct it.

I find myself taking pictures to do this. Pictures to study, not only to understand myself better but as a way to give the events a place in time. To give it a place in time allows me to distance from it while still studying it; It reminds me that it happened, but it is no longer happening. It becomes a process of healing as well as a gateway to closure.

This is why I figure the majority of my body of work is so personal; I am documenting it, trying to remember it and giving it the acknowledgement it deserves.


Amanda Meehan

2 comments:

Followers